August is Dental Implant Month! Dental implants are one of the best artificial tooth replacement options available. Here are five facts about them:
- There are three different types of implants: Root, Plate Form, and Subperiosteal.
The Root Implant is the most popular and involves inserting the implant into the jawbone, then attaching a crown.
- With the use of impressions (taking a “mold” of your mouth or using digital impressions), a custom crown can be created and attached to your implant so that it looks like your natural tooth.
- Dental implants are strong! With a dental implant, you can eat like you normally would with your natural teeth. Whether that means biting into an apple or eating steak, you can do so without worrying about damaging your implant.
- When there is not enough jaw bone to support a dental implant, a bone graft may need to be done first. Bone grafts involve placing bone, as well as other materials to help with bone growth, in the area that is lacking it.
- Periodontists (like Dr. Kazmer!) are dentists who specialize in dental implant placement.
We hope that these five facts have helped you to better understand dental implants. If you are missing one or more teeth and would like to know if you are a candidate for dental implants, give us a call at 919-468-6410 to schedule an appointment.
Take Care of Your Smile!